These lemon cookies are a hit with everyone, paleo and non paleo eaters alike!
Note about cookies:
I use lemon juice and a couple drops lemon essential oil (read label first to make sure it is safe to ingest) in place of the lemon extract. I have to use a replacement for the lemon extract because I can not tolerate the alcohol used during the extraction. So far, I have not been able to find an alcohol free version of lemon extract in the stores like I have for vanilla, and I have not had the time to try a homemade alcohol free version of the lemon extract.
15 mins (allow to completely cool on baking sheet)
25 mins (Ready to eat in an hour)
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 1/3 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour, sifted if lumpy
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon zest and lemon extract. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. The mixture might be thin and wet and much more like batter than dough. It might not be. Do not add any additional flour! Chilling will firm it up. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- For the large cookies pictured, roll into six balls. For smaller, more reasonably-sized cookies, roll into nine. Place 3″ apart on the prepared baking sheet and press the balls down slightly with your palm.
- Bake the smaller cookies for 10-12 minutes and the larger cookies for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies have lightly browned (not just the edges but also the middle of the cookies). The cookies may crackle a little.
- The cookies will still be very soft when you remove them from the oven. Let them cool on the pan completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Original recipe found here: Paleo Lemon Cookies (vegan, grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free)