As a kid fruit roll-ups were a treat that I loved! Looking at them now, I understand why…they are pretty much sugar and almost NO fruit! Here are the ingredients for a couple of the more popular commercially sold fruit snacks.
Fruit by the Foot ingredients (Betty Crocker Fruit by the Foot).
Sugar, Maltodextrin, Corn Syrup, Pear Puree Concentrate, Palm Oil. Contains 2% or less of: Carrageenan, Citric Acid, Monoglycerides, Sodium Citrate, Acetylated Monoglycerides, Malic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), Locust Bean Gum, Potassium Citrate, Natural Flavor, Red 40.
Fruit Roll-ups ingredients (Betty Crocker Fruit Roll-ups):
Polydextrose, Dried Corn Syrup, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Pear Puree Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Palm Oil. Contains 2% or less of: Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Monoglycerides, Fruit Pectin, Malic Acid, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), Dextrose, Acetylated Monoglycerides, Natural Flavor, Acerola Extract (a natural source of Vitamin C), Color (yellow 5, blue 1, red 40).
The ingredients for my home made fruit roll-ups:
strawberries (or 1 lb of any fresh berries), agave nectar and coconut for greasing.
I know which fruit roll-ups I will choose from now on…
Drying time – 6 1/2 hours w/ convection oven OR 10-12 hours with standard oven
6 1/2 hours to 12 hours depending on if using convection oven or standard oven
- 4 baskets of strawberries (1 lb fresh berries)
- 1/4 C agave nectar
- coconut oil for greasing
- cut parchment paper to fit and lay into jelly roll pans
- grease parchment with butter
- hull strawberries (remove the stem) and place in blender
- add agave nectar to strawberries and blend until well pureed
- divide the strawberry mixture evenly between the two jelly roll pans and spread thin with a rubber spatula
- heat oven to 150 degrees (do not heat higher than this or you may cook the fruit as opposed to drying) If you have a convection oven, use this setting to speed up drying process.
- place jelly roll pans in 150 degree oven with oven door cracked open slightly
- when fruit is dry and no longer sticky to the touch (6 1/2-7 1/2 hours for convection oven or 10-12 hours standard oven), remove from oven and cut fruit with parchment still attached into 2″ strips. Roll each strip around a pencil and place in airtight container
*These roll-ups can be made with any kind of berry. We also made blueberry roll-ups which were delicious!
Serves: makes 12, 14″ roll ups
Original recipe found here: Corn Syrup Roll-up – Where’s the Fruit?